I wanted to do a gift guide a little different this year. Instead of collecting items that just look good together or fit into a certain price range, I thought I would collect items that I already own and love. Items I use regularly that make my life better or easier all year long. After all, the gift that’s tried and tested to bring daily joy all year round is the best kind of gift, right? Everything on this list is something I own and love. It’s a diverse mix that includes everything from some of my favorite outfits to a toothbrush that’s so good I haven’t needed a refill since I started using it. Many of the items I have had for years and they either bring me joy or make my life easier. Gifts range from $30 to $400, so there are many price brackets! I know the more expensive gifts are a stretch but I have to say they have been absolutely worth it and would make precious and useful gifts for that special someone you are looking to spoil. For example, the Hypervolt body massager costs about $249, but it has been the best investment for helping my back and recovering from workouts. Using it every day has made a huge difference in my back pain and I really recommend it to anyone with back problems. To shop the Own and Love Holiday Gift Guide, simply click on the image below to shop. Plus, you can scroll down the image to read why I love each gift.
Holiday Gift Guide: Own & Love
- Folding bicycle helmet – I have been a member of Citibike in NYC for several years now and I love biking. In 2020 we are all looking for ways to get outside safely and cycling is a great activity to do that. This is a great gift idea for anyone who likes to ride or uses a bike share scheme. The bike helmet folds up, but still gives great protection. I think bike helmets look cool too! They also come in a bunch of different colors. I really love mine, I use it all the time and it’s really comfortable.
- .Concrete menu lamp – This is the perfect gift for either that hard to buy for person or someone who loves stylish home decor and design. The small lamp has a concrete base and a brass switch. It emits such a warm, soft and beautiful light. I love minimalist, Scandinavian design – it’s timeless. This concrete lamp is perfect for a nightstand, shelf or side table lamp. It also comes in different colors like black, bronze and light grey, so be sure to check out the other versions.
- Hypervolt – HyperVolt is a body massage device that works wonders for me. The device is very powerful and is great if you are warming up before a workout or trying to release tension after a workout. If you know someone with back pain, then this is a suitable gift. I use mine every day! It’s expensive, but worth every cent. I tried so many cheaper ones and they weren’t nearly half as good as this model.
- The Gardens of Eden coffee table book– I love a good coffee table book and this is one of my favorites from 2020. The book is filled with amazing gardens from small urban oases to country gardens. With 2020 bringing out the gardener in many of us, this would make a great gift for the green-fingered on your list.
- Timex Look – This blue and red diver-inspired watch from Timex is one of my favorites. I love its bold look and the retro style makes this a unique gift. It has a woven stainless steel bracelet, which is a great gift choice because it makes it such a versatile watch. I’ve had this watch for a while now and often get compliments when I wear it. It currently costs $179, so it’s a good quality and stylish watch, but not so expensive that you have to worry about it getting damaged.
- Jonathan Adler ceramic dog – I have had this ceramic beauty on my shelves for many years in many apartments. If you know a dog lover, then these ceramic creations from JA are perfect. They are sleek and come in a beautiful matte white, so they look good in most interiors. Maybe you know someone who wants a dog and can’t get one? This is the perfect gift for them too.
- Alex Mill Capt – Everyone needs a cap in their wardrobe and this stylish one from Alex Mill makes a great gift. It’s simple and classic and is often the go-to cover when it’s raining because it goes easily with many outfits.
- DiamondCare toothbrush – I have been brushing my teeth with Phillips Sonicare for almost 10 years. This year, I upgraded to their Diamondcare toothbrush and it is very good. I haven’t had a cavity since I started using it! As a design junkie, I love that it comes with a charging cup, so no ugly, bulky charger. Plus, the app is great as it guides you through your wash in real time to make sure you don’t miss a single point.
- Waffle towel – Do you have someone who loves their bathroom or perhaps a home, a design addict or someone who is hard to shop for? If so, these waffle towels would make a great gift for them! Everyone needs a few extra towels, right?! These are perfect for the cold winter months and come in many colours, so you’ll be sure to find a color that suits their bathroom or style. I use these towels and can attest to how great and soft they are. These deserve a spot in my Own and Love Holiday Gift Guide.
- Sonos Move – I like the Move wifi speaker because I can use it anywhere at home or outside. It also works great with my existing Sonos speaker system. When I want to listen to music somewhere in my house that doesn’t have a speaker in it (like in the bathroom), I can just pick it up and carry it with me, and it continues to run on its own battery. It’s also great when we’re out and about (like lounging by the pool in the summer) as the battery lasts for hours. Plus, it can be switched to a Bluetooth speaker if the Wi-Fi goes out of range — so clever! In my opinion, it’s the best wireless battery speaker out there because it’s simple to use, well designed, and works anywhere. It’s the perfect gift for a gadget person in your life, but their family will be happy too since everyone can use it!
- Dagne Dover Backpack – This backpack literally contains my office – my best friend calls it my school bag! This is the bag that holds all my work stuff: my laptop, hard drive, etc. It’s also my go-to travel bag because it comes with me everywhere. It’s made of soft neoprene and fits everything in it, even my 16-inch MacBook. The best thing is that it looks so simple and stylish. Most laptop bags don’t look that stylish, but this design is stylish and I always get a lot of comments on it.
- Larq Self-cleaning bottle – This is a self-cleaning water bottle that I got last Christmas. It’s insulated so it keeps your water fresh and with the touch of a button it purifies the water inside the bottle using UV. I think we all know that reusable water bottles can smell bad and so this is a great solution to that problem.
- Clae sneakers – What’s better than the gift of comfortable and stylish shoes? Finding the perfect pair of sneakers is not easy. I discovered Clae a few years ago and they have been my favorite sneaker company ever since. Their take on the classic white sneaker is a fashion staple that most people would love to have in their closet.
- Barbour jacket – This jacket is definitely an investment piece, but rest assured it’s something that will last a lifetime. As a Brit, this jacket is quintessentially British, and I know from a lot of experience (!) that it can withstand heavy rain while still looking stylish. I’ve had my jacket for years and it’s a staple every season. Mine is a dark green, but they also come in black and navy. A wax jacket is truly a gift that will last a lifetime!
- Hockney book – Hockney is one of my favorite artists. I love his range of techniques and his use of color brings me so much joy. Whether one is familiar with his work or not, this book is great for inspiration. Spread the joy of great art this year!
If you made it all the way to the end, here’s an extra secret to my Holiday Gift Guide:
The best candle – Personally, I don’t think a gift guide is complete without a great candle! However, when it comes to candles, I’m very picky. I’ve tried literally hundreds of them and this cannabis candle from Malin & Goetz is one of my absolute favorites. This candle has such an intoxicating scent, I just love it. The scent isn’t overpowering but you can smell it over and over which I love like some scented candles you can barely smell or give me a migraine! Also, just to note, the candle does not smell like actual cannabis. Rather, it is a mixture of spicy herbs and coffee. It’s the perfect unisex candle and would be loved by anyone. I promise it’s great!